Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One of my favorite tumblr blogs is one called faces [ ] spaces. The aptly named blog deals greatly with portraiture and landscapes that seem to possess a certain commonality in the sensation of coldness, isolation, and obscurity. The (anonymous) blogger seems to draw a well considered, but unspoken link between posts, and will post multiple images by each artist. A lot of photography blogs (especially on tumblr) seem very incidental with little consideration for an artist's intent or body of work, so I appreciate that this blogger chooses not to represent each photographer with a singular image.

Another blog I started following a few months ago is the blog of illustrator Jeremy Enecio. He posts a lot of ideation and process work, which has been interesting to relate to as a photographer who works with the medium traditionally and digitally. I'm in love with his color palette! Its extremely thoughtful and has inspired me to look more into color theory, myself.

Lauren

5 comments:

  1. faces [] spaces is really great! I also feel that this is something that may be relatable to your concept? cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree overall with your assessment of facesandspaces; the blogger certainly cultivates a distinct and intentional aesthetic that is somehow cluttered and austere at once.
    I assume that the narrow margin of space between the images is an intentional decision, building on the sense of clutter. I enjoy the concept, but confess that I lose a full appreciation of the images as individual artworks on the page as a whole.
    However, this is probably due to my personal inability to focus on one work at a time, and is not a failing of the blogger. I would be curious to know if any one has any particular thoughts on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Katherine/Kate/Katie-- one thing about tumblr (and I don't know if you have one or not so I might sounds like an ass) is that posts appear in kind of the same fashion as facebook news feed. All in one place and live.

    Blog layouts on tumblr are for the most part irrelevant to tumblrers because they see everything in the same space. If I see something I like, I click on the image and it will separate itself from the page in a higher resolution against a plain black background. However, looking at the work strictly from the blog does seem a bit piled up, I agree that the images need some room to breathe. Anything particularly eye-catching will be linked with a click through to the artist's website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see- no, I don't have a tumblr, so I didn't know about this. I can certainly see your point- if the layout is barely seen, then it really wouldn't be of any importance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really adore the faces/spaces blog.. I hadn't seen it before! Sometimes it seems that blogs serve the sole purpose of making me feel lazy/uninspired.. which kicks my ass into action. This is one of those blogs-- so, lets go take some pictures, Thibby!!

    ReplyDelete