Monday, December 8, 2014

Kim Keever

Kim Keever is someone I saw on "but does it float". Again, I'm writing about this work because of how off put I was when I saw it. I mean it's more fucking color abstractions of inky stuff in water. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do better Kim. But for the sake of the conversation Shane and I had last week I'm going to try to seriously talk about this stuff and find something I can learn from it.

This is the only work I know of Kim Keever because, like I said, I only just saw her on BDIF. The most striking thing about this stuff is obviously the fluid compositions women out of various colored inks. The color is so unpleasant to me it hurts. There are a few of the images that I can almost start diving into, and it's no coincidence that those are the same images with simpler color palettes, but even those look like uninspired, as if the artist discovered Adobe Kuler and was in awe.  I can tell that the artist is trying to create a certain atmosphere with the images. I think of weather when I see these, like certain storms and temperatures. The colors have a great effect on the scenes, but there just doesn't seem a lot inspired about the work overall.

The artist sees these as a response to landscape photography, and I'll totally give her that. She also describes them as a method for her to engage in pure exploration and the "random" events that occur when paint and water mix. I don't find it interesting really. I think the images can be interesting to look at for a little, but I'm left wondering where I should after the initial viewing and then I'm lost.

What do you think about the work/what do you think I'm looking at incorrectly?





No comments:

Post a Comment