Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Both photographers seemed to be emphasizing similar aspects in their concepts, (ie, home, place) just in different ways. I enjoyed Soth's Broken Manual a little more, because I felt there was more for me to read into and explore for myself. Soth seemed to have this freudian way of exploring the idea of home and/or place, more about the idea than the actual representation of a physical building. Aesthetically, his images are quiet, subtle, but in a way that is oddly dynamic. Though also dynamic, Relle's approach was more about the actual process of taking the photos, which was a little disappointing since they were of such emotive buildings. I had a hard time reading too much into Relle's series, maybe that's was because it was just so straightforward and repetitive. That being said, Relle's series did come off as a more cohesive body of work than Soth's, but I think that Soth was very intentional with the way he made Broken Manual seem so disjointed and...broken. hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment