Sunday, April 6, 2014

Jennifer Greenburg

Jennifer Greenburg - The Rockabillies
Whitney gave me this artist as a suggestion to look into for photographing my LARP friends (THANKS, WHITNEY! :D). Unfortunately, I just looked her up because I wrote down the name but lost it because I thought it was in my journal and kept fruitlessly searching for it before I remembered I typed it on a notepad on my computer. Derp.

Anyway, Jennifer Greenburg has a series of images called, The Rockabillies. She captures these people who adopt the aesthetic of teens from the 1950s, but overlook the social and political realities of that time period (race riots, cultural upheaval, and little hope for middle-class advancement.) that they try to visually emulate. She says that many of the people within this subculture would not really want to live in the post-war era, and most have little interest in the historic preservation of that time period, even though members rarely stray away from the archetypical look.



No comments:

Post a Comment