Friday, August 24, 2012

Benoit Paillé

I just found this photographer while looking through the Machine Factory website, and I really loved his work!





These are from Paillé's series "Alternative Landscapes" in which he wanted to photograph landscapes in a new way, using a 1x1 square of light which he installs in the middle of the photograph. I am not typically a fan of landscape photography (in fact, I usually find it tedious and boring). These seem almost alien, like they came from some fantastic place or out of someone's imagination, though. I am still not sure how he has installed the light without any suspension being visible, so if any of you have ideas, I really want to know.

His website: http://www.benoitp.com/

3 comments:

  1. These are fascinating to me. Especially because, like you, I cannot figure out how those squares are suspended. They seem like a UFO or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are stunning. I can't figure out the set up either... it looks like maybe he used a 1x1 soft box on a light stand with a synced flash? And then edited out the stand in post? I have no idea though, he carried it off flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the late comment, my computer/internet wouldn't let me sign onto here and let me comment (weirdest\most frustrating thing ever), but here it is now:

    i too am intrigued by this series. I first saw this on Tumblr and read
    into i a tiny bit more. I believe the artist did suspend the squares
    from overhead, but i may be wrong. The way the artist brings our
    attention to this lighting, its location, its intensity, and what it
    does to the scenery is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete