Monday, August 27, 2012

Jonathan Ducruix (aka Me&Edward)








These vaguely menacing evolutions are all from Jonathan Ducruix (aka Me&Edward)'s series Metamorphosis. They all share a theme of mutation and constant evolution of the human form, as well as very similar lighting and colour palettes. Superficially speaking, they are also similar because they involve pretty extensive manipulation.

A bit about the Artist (From his website):
Holder of a diploma in 2D and 3D Computer Graphics, he doesn’t perceive photography as an end but rather as a source, a potential for creation. He’s always been attracted to the world of fashion and design, something we can detect from his work which has a certain refined style and touch. Photography becomes a means of expression much more efficient than words and acts like a mask that Edward uses to let his emotions show through.

He also had a pretty interesting answer to a question about his alias:
I like to think that everyone hides behind a mask. In my case, I wanted to dissociate the I- as a photographer from the I-as a sensitive human being. The second conveys an emotional capacity, and this is the one you’ll find in the photographs. It becomes more than a simple human body, it’s a symbolic figure.

3 comments:

  1. His stuff is fantastic. I knew I had seen an image from this series before, but I lost the name and couldn't find it until you posted this! huzzah! Love this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the late comment, my computer/internet wouldn't let me sign onto here and let me comment (weirdest\most frustrating thing ever), but here it is now:

    These are super-bizarre and unsettling, i'm not sure how to react to
    them. These images almost take a psychological toll on me; they kind
    of make me squirm when I try to imagine such transformations
    (tailbones actually having a tail, a thin-waist-ed ass-backwards
    body...) really happening. The specific, gentle color palette is what
    makes them seem like they're out of a History of Human Anatomy museum
    or something.


    ReplyDelete