Sunday, August 28, 2016

Mariah Robertson

I was introduced to Mariah Robertson by a friend back in 2013 and instantly fell in love. I am most interested in alternative darkroom processes, and she is a prime example of an artist working with chemistry to see what kind of unique images can come about by a bit of trial and error. Her choice of working with long reams of paper takes her photographic work from something that is generally perceived as a two-dimensional art form into something sculptural.
I was fortunate enough to see her speak here at VCU about a year and a half ago, where she elaborated more on her works in performance art and how she started working with photochemistry in a new way. Totally awesome, weird(if you were there, you know what I mean!) and inspriring.
Mariah Robertson's Chemical Reactions
Mariah Robertson Works


3 comments:

  1. Mariah Robertson is amazing! We learned about her in Abbey's Photo into sculpture class last semester. Her work is mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw her speak as well, her process is so mesmerizing. and dangerous. but mostly just dangerous. I like that a lot of her final decisions are made by chemical reactions, I have to agree it's inspiring and looks like fun to be quite honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so amazing to see work like this still being made. With such resources that aren't really being produced anymore I wonder what she will do once they're all gone?

    ReplyDelete