Monday, August 29, 2016

Vivian Maier

The ever famous, Vivian Maier.

I heard about this artist in another class a few days ago and became enthralled with her. I have been watching video's on her story and work. Although there are a lot of incredible artists from her time, I feel that lot of artists have to force something to happen in front of the camera or whatever image they are making, but hers seemed to fall into her lap by being at the right place at the right time. I love when things seem to work themselves out after putting in photograph after photograph.


http://www.vivianmaier.com/



There is a lot for talk about her lying about herself and past, so her "bio" isn't set and stone. However, to there knowledge she wasn't classically trained at all- completely self taught. Although her work is stunning,  what I find most interesting about her is that she was shooting for no one but herself. Her intentions interest me to no end, I guess we'll never know.

Her street photos are mind blowing to me because of everyone's comfortability with her with only seeing her for seconds. Her ability to capture each person's personality so well is mind blowing to me, frankly.

I kind of want to try to take photos every day for a period of time and get them developed, but not view them until a later date and see how I feel about them.

she also sells prints... well someone is selling prints in her name.
http://www.vivianmaier.com/print-sales/


3 comments:

  1. capturing special moments and personalities seems right up your alley Natalie with weddings! Its funny how Vivian was photographing for herself when today we get to use her work in order to appreciate the more unique/special moments of the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about strangers profiting off her images? I wonder if someone at the time had noticed her work whether or not she would have been interested in being recognized as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire vivian maier so much, I agree, I think it's so impressive that she was basically making work for herself. It makes me wonder if that is what a true artist is. As an artist I create work because I have a want to but I also am creating work for other people. There is part of me as an artist that I want to have people see what I've made. But is the true mark of an artist someone that is so in love with the art that they create strictly to create? I dont know if I can honestly say yes to that because it would be a contradiction to what I practice.

    ReplyDelete