Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Success Of Failure Response

This essay is something I've read before (sometime around this time last year, as I recall), so this was merely a refresher. However, I enjoyed reading it a second time and picked up on some new things this time around.

The main thing this article seems to preach is process over product. This is something you seem to preach a lot in class (not seem, but you actually do this). At this point, this is a message I've received multiple times over the past year. It's almost been over-exposed to my conscious mind; at this point, I get it, and I don't need to hear it anymore (not that reading this essay was not beneficial, but it seems a little redundant now).

One thing that got brought up that I didn't quite pick up on last time was the idea of 'integrity', and how a piece of artwork (or any work) can have a sense of integrity or honor. This I found particularly interesting. It's not mentioned too much, but I think it's an important note, because often when we think we have failed there is a sense of personal shame involved in this, but with this idea that there is no real failure, but maybe lack of tangible achievement, this sense of shame can go away, and in it's place we can feel honor and integrity at having tried something that was risky enough to have not succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment