Sunday, January 26, 2014

Emily Volles - 5 artists

Emotional Resonance- Amanda Jasnowski
website

  Amanda is a young artist from Spain (currently residing in NYC)who I've found to have very similar, emotion-based way of working, as me. Her recent series about self exploration really struck me. Recently, a lot of my work has been about exploring myself through my emotions and past experiences. 


Complete opposite - Thomas Demand
website


 
    Though I can appreciate the hard and tedious work that goes into his paper scenes which he photographs, I would have to say Thomas Demand's work is just as far away from what I strive to do in my work as possible. His work is very much about precision and form, where as I love all the oddities and 'mistakes' that often happen in my work.


Intelectual connection - Raina Matar
website

















Most (if not all) of Raina's work is about family and women, often at the same time. Though her most famous and widely acclaimed series is probably 'girl in her room', I would have to say her other projects are equally as interesting. I have a fascination with family history and genealogy as well as a keen interest in woman's issues and relationships. I hope to make more work related to this in the future and Raina's projects like, 'Women coming of age' and 'family moments' really inspire me. 


Formal similarities - Dan Estabrook 
website


    Many of my recent projects have been experimentations with material. I find many physical similarities between both Dan and I's work. His almost exclusive use of alternative photography processes as well as multi-media techniques is something I do a lot in my work as well. I'm very fond of having simplistic imagery in my work, as is Dan.


Content - Mike Brodie 
website


90% of all the photos I take are of my friends and their lives as they live them. Mike Brodie spent 4 years traveling the country via train hopping and photographing those he traveled with. Showing a truth of how they lived during their travels. The photos from these 4 years were the only body of work he ever chose to create. 








No comments:

Post a Comment