Saturday, March 29, 2014

Francesca Woodman

Francesca Woodman

For a while now, I've only ever seen a few of her images, specifically the flour ones. Stanley brought her up in class the other day and spent a while discussing a particular image, but it intrigued me enough to go look her up and get a better idea of her work. What fascinated me the most about her was her brief lifetime, having taken her own life due to depression from not being able to gain attention for her work, despite her images being strong. Black and white photographs with soft focus and long exposure motion blur, her images evoke a sort of ghostliness to them, almost surreal, her death seeming to beautifully haunt these images now. It's amazing to me that these are images she had made when she was just a student. The amount of introspection and emotion in these photographs is very compelling to me, making me want to dissect the images to try and get personal associations and meaning from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment