Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blogs

I'm sitting here wondering whether or not to mention that I do not, in fact, regularly follow any blogs. Of course, by writing this, I am definitively making the decision to mention it.
Allow me to clarify: I don't follow any blogs. This is not a fact that causes me any shame, nor do I feel that it is a necessary habit for every artist/creative professional/inquisitive individual in order to survive in our modern world. However, for the purposes of this class, I have found a blog that I would likely follow, if I were a follower of blogs, and will continue to follow for the duration of this semester under the assumption that this is a requirement of the class.

http://www.lorinix.net/my8x10life/

This is a blog by Lori Nix, one of my favorite photographers, who creates and photographs small-scale dioramas, often of a fantastical nature.
It was created fairly recently, and as such, I was able to go back through all of the archives and read the information included therein. It is largely an account of her life and processes as a photographer and creator of dioramas.
Not fascinating material, but enough to hold my attention for a good duration of time.
In any case, this is my official blog post for the week, stating the nature of my feelings towards blogs, and one blog that I will prevail upon myself to read for the remainder of the class.


6 comments:

  1. To clarify my own feelings: blogs are not, in-and-of-themselves, inspiring; rather, blogs are an opportunity to be exposed to loads of work to which one wouldn't be otherwise. As artists - like the scientist or any other professional - it is part of our job to be aware of the research transpiring around us. Oftentimes, I'll find a blog, search its history for days or months, cull what I deem important (for any number of reasons), then move on to other blogs. It's important to suspend judgment sometimes and instead search for something within that thing one wants so badly to judge for something constructive, instructive, inspiring, angering, something, at least something that isn't hedged on preconception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed her take on serendipity; “the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident, or better yet, when someone finds something that they weren’t expecting to find. This happens when you pretty much say yes to every opportunity or favor asked of you. You never know when something will turn into something greater." I think this relates to us making our own chance, and molding our lives and peace of mind by trying, and being open to opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too find it difficult to follow blogs, not to lack of interest, but rather some type of lack of persistence on my part. I have come to learn recently though, that it is undeniably one of the best, free ways to come across new work. I enjoyed your linked blog and reading through her thought process in the museum post, it gives another insight into many of the the little things that inspire her, down to each described detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that my comment seems to have been interpreted as an indictment of the blogosphere in general- I had no intention of communicating anything to this effect. As I peruse the blogs posted on this site, I have found them to be greatly informative, actually.
    Perhaps this is not entirely pertinent or important, but I would like to clarify, since it seems that I have not adequately done so, that I harbor no antipathy toward blogging. You will find no negative comments about blogs in general in my post- rather, I indicated quite the opposite- to me, blogs are as yet a blank slate, neither necessary nor pernicious. Though I never stated anything to the contrary, perhaps my general tone was somehow misleading.
    If I could draw this divergent train of thought back to something related to art, it might be that even as the artist has an obligation to craft his or her message carefully, he or she must expect that it will be misunderstood? Okay, maybe that's a bit of a stretch.
    Regardless, I'm glad that Sam and Mark enjoyed Lori Nix's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avid blog follower or not, I really enjoyed the link you shared. For some reason I find myself fastinated with things in miniature, so I enjoyed looking at those dioramas...

    ReplyDelete