Saturday, September 10, 2011

"An Experiment in Perspective"


According to the biography on his website, John Chervinsky is a "self-taught photographer and an engineer in the field of applied physics," who spent nearly two decades of his life running a particle accelerator at Harvard.
The project "An Experiment in Perspective" does seem to reflect a train of inquiry that is at once artistic and focused on the realm of physics. At the same time, there is a simplicity to the forms and ideas being communicated that prevents the viewer from being alienated.
I am forced to ask myself, given my interests in art, whether I am attracted to the aesthetic more than I am to the content. Admittedly, the laboratory/classroom environment of the work evokes for me feelings of contentedness.
Regardless, these are quite enjoyable photographs, and Chervinsky's website is well worth visiting.
The URL: http://www.chervinsky.org/

1 comment:

  1. His use of space is phenomenal, especially after reading he is simply using a few slate chalkboards, a window and a view camera. His statement is rather challenging (in a good way) when he speaks of the science of optics and its relationship to perspective and human vision. Hence, his studies of photographing something from a fixed point in time and space, limited by our cameras and tripods. I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete