Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Soth Vs. Relle--Home

I have the biggest photo crush on Alec Soth. I want to photo marry him, and then we'll live a happy photo life together raising beautiful photo children.

That being said...

Both Relle and Soth want to tackle the issue of home, it seems to me. Relle seems to be taking a literal approach. He is photographing houses in the city he was born and raised in. He's also taking them from a very outside viewers perspective; the same perspective I would see if I drove around New Orleans at night. Soth, on the other hand, is focusing on a different type of home. From the series it appears he is documenting non-traditional houses and ideas of home. He isn't just showing the physical structure, however. He's getting up close, showing things you might find in the home, views from inside the home, he's showing the home and the structure in the surrounding landscape, the people who live these lives, etc. Though on Relles website his artist statement indicates an emotional attachment to the city and the concept, to me it does not come across in his work, whereas Soths work seems jumbled and lacking in structure, but I think accomplishes more in exploring atypical ideas of home and a household.

1 comment: