Sunday, February 16, 2014

Artist - Jessica Berry



Jenny Woods. I don't think; I feel. I'm 21 years old and utterly in love with the world.

“I don't really put much thought behind anything that I've taken. I blast the saddest music I know and let my feelings take over from there. I'm reaching into myself and spilling out all the contents of who I am. I hope to give the viewer an idea of how I view the world. I wish I could tell you that I sit at my desk and brainstorm for hours about how I want a certain photo to come out or that I put so much depth and thought into everything I create, but I don't. Most of the time it's by beautiful accident and I'm lucky. My photos have always bored me. I was never satisfied with pretty colors, or pretty faces. My life is messy. The way I view it is messy, and I think my photos portray that. They're not always exposed properly, in focus, or they're cropped weird and the faces are not always beautiful and I love that. I love that more than anything.”

She reminds me of a kind of creepier david hamilton. I was always in love with his soft focus, romantic nudes, but she takes it to an entirely different level. The sensuality and the softness is there in her work as well but they are also menacing, questioning, and maybe a tiny bit scary. She works with both digital and film and admits to leaving things out of focus, but it really works for and adds to the stories of her images.

No comments:

Post a Comment