Thursday, February 6, 2014

throwing spaghetti at a wall - emily volles

My approach on life (and subsequently my art) has recently been changing as I've been becoming more aware of my own self- my emotions and figuring out why I do what I do, or like what I like. Trying to let go of what I think something should or shouldn't be like and just enjoying the process of creation and seeing where it can lead to. So I find it sort of poetic how the lessons in this class have come into my life when and how they have. It has really reinforced my ambitions in what kind of artist (and human being for that matter) I want to be. Every exercise and assignment thus far has been truly an enjoyable and empowering process. I particularly enjoyed the assignment of photographing strangers even though it was terrifying for me, as a very shy and honestly, awkward person (though I'm working on it!) it was difficult for me to approach people I didn't know. But being forced into uncomfortable areas in the name of art is something i've been enjoying more and more- if something feels scary or unknown when working artistically, it probably means you're heading in a new, interesting direction. I also loved the 'new paragraph' assignment we have been working on, I love poetry and writing and relish the opportunity to incorporate it into my photography. I will most definitely use this idea generating process again.

No comments:

Post a Comment