Monday, October 20, 2014

Pierre Cordier _ Weekly Artist Post

Cordier is the "father of the chemigram", a form of cameraless photography/painting. He creates abstractions using the chemistry involved in the photographic process. The work is unlike what I generally find myself interested in, but I can see the appeal. To me, the exploration of the physical nature of photography, as found in this work and the work of Marco Breuer, bores me. Maybe it's a generational thing. Maybe someone with my upbringing (surrounded by all forms of digital media) simply isn't interested in the archaic history of certain chemical processes. Is it romantic? Sure, but the term romantic comes with certain negative connotations; every time I've used the word romantic to describe something I'm usually also calling it out-dated and unnecessary. Obviously the work is doing more than just that though, it's doing something more than wandering semi-consciously through the history of material images. One can look at the work solely as a form of abstraction or painting without having to address the presence or context of the photo. Take a look and let me know what u think!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment