Sunday, October 19, 2014

Taylor Stevenson: Kula

I stubbled across an very interesting photographer named Kula, which I came to learn meant balls in Czech. I was particularly drawn to this work because it was very strange and i enjoyed it so much. Kulas work is very contrasty however it seems to work, it helps to create this erie demeanor and lends to this strange feeling. The fact that in some images there is the blacks that have no detail seems to add a bit of mystery and the way that Kula sets up his subjects seem to be a tad bit off but is working. Kula explained his work by stating " I always find substance in the pronouncement : "this has balls," or "this has no balls". I try most hard to give my photographs balls", strange right. I cant help but think that in his work he is battling with sexuality or status of men/women, i get this feeling through his objectification of women. I noticed that when photographing women it seemed either much darker in exposure or he focused on the physical aspect of the women.









No comments:

Post a Comment