Sunday, October 19, 2014

Weekly Artist Post- Steven Ellison/Captain Murphy/ Flying Lotus

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/flying-lotus-interview-youre-dead <-----noisey article
http://flying-lotus.com/youre-dead/ <-----website

STEVEN ELLISON is FLYING LOTUS and CAPTAIN MURPHY


                     
I saw Flying Lotus at the Paradise in Boston, Friday night and it well exceeded my expectations which were already very high. I don't mean this lightly when I say he and his music are huge in my list of inspirational/ important things. Aside from his music I was really impressed and interested by the visuals he used which consisted of a front and rear projector that used screens to make it more dimensional. The show was great, but that is beside the point.
I spent more time after the show thinking not about the show itself, but what flying lotus, his music, and his following means for music in general. Although I am not saying his music is great and everyone will like it blah blah blah, his approach to music is whats important. It falls into quickly widening gap in music genres of music that can not quite be classified. His music is sampling and referencing many genres we know, but comes out into something else that I don't think is completely recognizable. This music makes me excited about where music is headed, what rules it has yet to break and correlations that we continue to discover between art/music/popculture etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment