Monday, October 27, 2014

Shelby Hastings: Weekly Artist - Stephen Shore

Stephen Shore is an artist that has always passed influence on me. Even if the same style of shooting is not prevalent, I can say he is the first artist that I truly admire. The ability to have him pull such interest in some scenes that may seem ordinary become extraordinary by waiting for a time and precisely setting the camera up to accentuate the scene. His use of colors is something I've always found astounding. His investigation with color as a new tool in photography provides an entry to other artists around that time to join him in this new technology. 

I still admire his need to travel the country and bring these places most people won't witness across the country to life. Living that journey via the photographs sometimes doesn't seem to be enough for me. I wish I could have been there with him and experience everything he did. It is a similar idea that I feel is necessary for me to personally grow as a human being, and living with other people through their culture to become more understanding and worldly. 





1 comment:

  1. Are these all from the same series? The fourth image down sticks out to me for obvious reasons. Because of the position of that image on the page, I can't help but that it is breaking the fourth wall. Is it a self portrait? That's my first thought for some reason. In relation to the top 4 images, I feel like Shore is setting us up with examples of "other" places (made even more evident by the fact that he traveled to create them), then acknowledging himself, drawing a comparison between these locations, and himself. What that comparison is, I don't know. I don't even know if that's him!

    See how easily human brains find patterns? Your simple curation changed how I see the work so much! Does that it a stronger group of photos, or weaker? Or neither?

    ReplyDelete