Thursday, February 6, 2014

Artist Maggie

JONATHAN STEAD

       I have a lot of respect for photographers who still use the analog process. For me, it's a much more rewarding experience when you finally achieve a good print after many failed attempts under the enlarger. Jonathan Stead did a series called Fragile Mind, about his grandmother while she was going through different stages of dementia. "I chose to use glass plates to reflect the fragile nature of my subject." The glass plates he chose to you allowed some of the emulsion to closely come off, which for him represented his grandmothers life chipping away and coming close to the end. I thought the strong connection between process and content made the series a cohesive well thought out piece of work. 




No comments:

Post a Comment