Sunday, February 23, 2014

Picture I'm Afraid of Taking

Myself - Nude

I'm actually not that unfamiliar with self-portraits. I did a series of them for a project last semester for the first time since I wasn't too keen on photographing other subjects (and also because I didn't have subjects to photograph). However, they were only head shots. I'm very self-conscious, so self-portraits are pretty nerve-wracking to shoot, let alone nude self-portraits. I couldn't even bring myself to post the images of myself with only one breast showing, despite knowing that it is just art and bodies are bodies, and everyone generally has the same anatomy. I have no qualms about other people photographing themselves nude, and find something beautifully revealing and wonderfully vulnerable about nude portraits, but when it's myself—just no. It's almost as if I'm not only guarded about my body, but also my emotions, thoughts and ideas. I hope I can break from this shell and maybe one day do something really cool with nude self-portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment