Thursday, February 6, 2014

Harmony...

In response to my previous post where I was anticipating the skype call my class was going to have with Bryan Schutmaat. In regards to concepts and to my own life his works are very relevant at the moment. Shooting strangers in their environments is something we have and are exploring in concepts and it also resonates to my current situation in an unusual environment and having to make a short film about someone here very soon.. I was really curious to find out how he approached his subjects, he mentioned that he goes to places where people can be found and approached, he doesn't spend long with them and what really stood out to me is that he mentioned is that despite what the image reads this is not necessarily reflective of what the situation or atmosphere was actually like when the image was taken. Interesting.

He went on to speak to the harmony of the image and comparing photography to music, I heard this exact same comparison recently when interviewing David Williams, head of photography at Edinburgh College of Art. This is something that REALLY intrigues me, but i'm not entirely sure what it means. I'm going to contact both to see if I can expand on the idea.

Will follow up this post when I get clarity or results!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment