Sunday, September 14, 2014

Natalie Kohlhepp - Artist Post

Larry Clark ~ Tulsa & Teenage Lust

http://larryclark.com/

“i was born in tulsa oklahoma in 1943. when i was sixteen i started shooting amphetamine. i shot with my friends everyday for three years and then left town but i’ve gone back through the years. once the needle goes in it never comes out.” -Larry Clark

I couldn't decide between these two series. Tulsa shot in 1970, published in 1971. Clark went back home to Tulsa, Oklahoma and photographed his friend group and their habits. After some photographs in his book he has included the date of his friends' deaths. I think his work is so devastating but I'm attracted to the honesty and recklessness of his friends' expressions.

Teenage Lust also has that stark honesty. I can't get enough of Clark's work, even if he is an asshole.






No comments:

Post a Comment