Sunday, September 14, 2014

Taylor Stevenson: Vanessa Winship

Lately I have been interested in portraiture and how the pairing of portraits to pictures of an object or place helps to create a narrative. I was interested in Vanessa Winships series titled Georgia. This exhibition is essentially an investigation of the people of Georgia. I found the images to have a sense of oddity to them. For example the portraits portrayed these well-dressed, confident children but they all seemed very somber or unhappy.  Even the selection of landscapes shows a once elegant place now turning into ruin.


The pairing of adolescence with the crumbling city suggests an interesting narrative. To me it kind of speaks to the children are our future, how our past will eventually affect our children. So I guess the somberness that I felt was presented in the portraits could be because these children have to exist in a society that is crumbling. I don’t know if this assumption is true but the parings of the desolate city and the portraits really do that for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment