Monday, September 1, 2014

Shelby Hastings - Sentence response

"A work of art may be understood as a conductor from the artist's mind to the viewer's. But it may never reach the viewer, or it may never leave the artist's mind."


This is a sentence that puts me in the viewer's shoes, and gives me a breath of fresh air in doing so. It makes me become introspective. I relate to the viewer in the statement above because I have been through a lot of critiques about projects that I do not understand. Getting out a general idea of the project that is not about the physical qualities is something I have a hard time doing. I too don't feel as if I am quite the strong conductor.

Another thought about the quote is maybe the thought doesn't have to reach the viewer if it is not the artist's intention. Maybe the artist did a completely personal project to help he/she work through a tough time or a hard problem that life has thrown at them. I don't necessarily agree that art has to talk to a large crowd of people, or aim to please them. I think art should be made at the will of the artist (in regards to content).

No comments:

Post a Comment