Thursday, October 25, 2012

#4 in the Flatland:

- I am trying to understand my relationship with my family and how they own me. -


I have difficulty with gender (in case that wasn't obvious). I don't see masculine and feminine very well, and I'm still struggling to understand "Prom Night" in terms of a gendered image. I think that this image of my father would be described as "feminine" or "vaginal." Most of my portraits are. The intention isn't to make a soft, pretty picture, but there is an inherent way that I approach light and form that lends itself to such imagery. In this photo, for example, the space seems to recede from the viewer because all of the lines draw the eye to that back corner. I don't consider many of my photos very gendered either way; maybe it is simply an intellectual femininity.


I would consider this photograph from last year to be somewhat masculine because she is shot from below, as most men are, and her body prevents the viewer from seeing most of the background, making this a very forward-set image. In this series of portraits (for those who remember it), I did not intend to just make beautiful or intimate photographs. When I photograph people, I just want to make an honest portrait of them. I think that my views on gender sometimes translate into my photographs; that is to say, I don't see the gender dichotomy but rather the middle grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment