Monday, October 8, 2012

To give and get.

The Red badge of Courage By Stephen Crane is a title that I heard thrown around in some of my history classes in High School.  I came across the book for $5.99 at Borders over the summer and instinctively purchased it but didn't open it until a week or 2 ago. Crane writes about a rurally raised young man who decides to enlist in the Union Army against his mother's wishes. I've only read to the chapter where he is confronted with the possibility of battle with the confederate army. It's interesting to read about a young man dealing with the possibility of death simultaneously dealing with his values and fears. I'm not to sure how it relates to my current project but it was what I decided to read until focusing on my Archaeological Readings.

I'm currently reading various chapters in my Historical Archaeology Textbook by Charles Orser. Although it is required text for my Class, I've found its content compliments my practice. The last chapter I read was Time and Space and it dealt with the dating techniques used by archaeologists. There were a couple passages that spoke to me with quotes like "Position is the key element in understanding how things were related in the past". The Laws of association and superstition are referenced and seem to intuitively tie in with what I am doing. Photography as a historical outlet is something that I've been deeply thinking about lately.










No comments:

Post a Comment