Thursday, October 25, 2012

 I am photographing peoples hands and them holding something that pertains to their current passion or hobby.

                                 



   As I re-read Dave Hickey's "Prom Night" I thought about how my shooting style has evolved over the years. When I first started shooting the models I used were nothing more than models, they were there to help me execute my idea and nothing else, I commanded their every move, as well as the location and their clothing. I used to try to make the viewer see only what I wanted. One habit I do still have is only picturing photos with a single model instead of multiple models. I would consider these to be the masculine qualities in my work, yet overall I would consider my style to be feminine. I don't just use my models as subjects anymore, I always want to portray a part of their personality. Even if it's my vision, I want to take a photo they can relate to more than just knowing it's a picture of themself.
Looking back the most obvious photos that stand out as feminine are my self-portraits. I didn't realize every self portrait I have is taken in a very intimate and delicate way.

 "...attributes traditionally characterized as "feminine" - beauty, harmony, generosity, etc. - now validates works with their "masculine" counterparts - strength, singularity, autonomy, etc. - counterparts which, in my view, are no longer descriptive of conditions, ..."

    I didn't connect with Dave Hickey on most of his views but one thing I did agree with him was that we use words to critique art that are understood, yet not really descriptive. The word "strong" is an example, we understand the meaning of the word and relate it to it's synonyms such as solid, influential, well-made, etc. And we except the word "strong" as a criticism becuase the meaning is unanimously understood.





1 comment: