Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Flatland


As I read through Prom Night in Flatland for the first time, I struggled to understand the concept of gendered works of art. I also struggled understanding it the second and third time around. The examples given of Velasquez and Bellini are so clear, however, relating it to my concept was difficult. After looking through my overall pictures outside of this class, I realized that I most often use the feminine language throughout my work, as I find myself drawn to feminine qualities: sentimentality, prettiness, and aesthetic appeal. It was not until this project that I find myself struggling to stay on a middle ground between masculine and feminine, as I am sometimes slipping into the masculine role unaware. On more than on occasion, I have found myself imposing and trying to use myself to “fill the gap” metaphorically between me and my sister. Holding the camera is holding the power in this case. This photo is an example of straightforward masculinity- as I am imposing the way I see myself through her onto her.


However, the other half of the time I feel that my concept puts me in the “vaginal” mindset. I feel this way because I find myself using this project as a way of reaching out to her and filling the void that I have been feeling. I specifically feel this way when she has the camera, or moreso in my recent process of letting things happen how they happen, and creating a photo as a document of that experience. That is the way the I would like to go about my project, a feminine approach as opposed to the imposing masculine approach. The feminine approach not being about the prettiness, but rather about the vulnerability and intimateness. 

I believe that part of the issue of being on the fence between identifying with a masculine and/or feminine photographic language has to do with me also being on the fence about where I stand in our relationship, and me questioning what roles do sisters play in each others lives.  

Second, the question of whether these two sets of traditional attributes are "really" masculine or feminine is beside the point as well. Even if it's true (as it seems to me to be) that these traditional antinomies have more to do with our changing conceptions of power and entitlement than with any so-called "fact" of biological gender, it is this traditional fiction of gender that informs real behavior, and not my revisionist concept of it.
” – Dave Hickey


No comments:

Post a Comment