Thursday, October 25, 2012

Gendered Works of Art

After analyzing Dave Hickey's, "Prom Night in Flatland," gender roles in art became slightly more evident. Gendered works of art have existed for a long time, and while they may have slightly shifted they are still apparent in today's work.  The sixteenth century has been identified as a more feminine period because of the lighter colors and in my opinion, the urge to please the viewer. I don't necessarily agree with Hickey's view on gender roles in art.  I'm not entirely sure how my style fits into this idea.  In general I feel like I have a more masculine shooting style - my subjects are generally looking at the camera and are being directed. In this particular image of mine feels like it carries both feminine and masculine points.  The color palette is softened but all of the colors that are being exemplified are deeper, more masculine colors.  My subjects are looking directly at the camera and are shown in the center, showing more masculine traits. I don't really agree with finding gender roles in all works of art, but I am now more aware of the cases where it is evident.

No comments:

Post a Comment