Monday, October 8, 2012

White Like Me



Im exploring the environment and experiences I was raised through and looking for the privileges or disadvantages that they have given me.



Currently I'm reading a book titled "White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son", written by Tim Wise. He uses a memoir of his own life along with polemical essays to examine how racial privileges have shaped white society. He explores the idea of challenging our own unjust privileges and explains why it may be in our best intrest to do so. For my prior concept involving female stereotypes I had been reading articles online discussing modern day female stereotypes but those were mostly increasing the narrowness of my past concept.




The song I included, "In My Life"by The Beatles, has been one of my favorites of theirs for as long as I can remember. Classic Rock (especially The Beatles) always reminds me of my parents and living back home when I was younger since that was all they would ever play. When I listen to this song my mind pretty much starts cycling through older memories and I think its a good catalyst for jogging memories or ideas from my past that may hold significance in my concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment