Monday, September 19, 2016

1 AM Stream of Consciousness



1 AM stream of consciousness.


Currently I am writing this in my living room with funky fresh beats playing in the background. The best way that I can describe it is the perfect summer album. It has an amazing ability to create this feeling of nostalgia in a person. Music seems to do a very similar thing for people that movies do. It can transport you (emotionally) to any place you want. 

I think that is the reason so many people are drawn to movies, or music, or really any form of art in on way or another. One thing that I really enjoy about music is the fact that it is an art form that is very foreign to me. I know movies very well, when I watch them I often times think about the work that went into them on set, or the work that went in during post production. For music, though, I have no idea what work goes into it before during or after. This, as a result, lets me enjoy the art form in a very genuine way. I also really enjoy meshing the two art forms together. Specifically through music videos.

Music videos are wonderful because they are a very concise way of telling a story, aided by an entirely different art form (music). While regular movies have music in them, to help with guiding the emotion of the pieces, music videos are songs that have images to help the narrative of the piece.

Some day I'd like to pursue creating music videos in a very narrative fashion. Some of my favorites include 'Yellow Flicker Beat' by Lorde, 'Ghengis Khan' by Miike Snow, and 'Papaoutai' by Stromae. Because of their ability to create a narrative in such a short amount of time without the use of any "dialog." They are also beautiful, just craftsmanship wise.

Yellow Flicker Beat

Ghengis Khan

Papaoutai

No comments:

Post a Comment