Thursday, September 15, 2016

Ryan Trecartin

Ryan's work is nothing short of mind boggling, making him one of my favorite video artists. He is a video artist currently working in LA with a love for editing. Once you watch the video I linked you will see what I mean. Ryan's work focuses mostly on pop culture and the internet. In his videos he creates crazy worlds that feel like an acid enduced dream or a crazy stream of consciousness after 4 days without sleep. He uses his family and friends as models, which kind of makes sense considering the things he has people do in his work. I mean, if he randomly walked up to me and asked me if I would put a latex suit on and cover myself with blood while spanking my own ass in the name of art, I would probably decline. He makes videos that are up to an hour in length of things just popping up and yelling at the viewers, making people feel somewhat overwhelmed when watching. I for one love it and made it a point to watch one of his longest videos from start to finish to really immerse myself in the madness. Needless to say I had a bad migraine when it was over. But I'm still into it. 





1 comment:

  1. I remember Dana Ollestad showing my Moving Pixels class this dude. I forget the name of the piece we watched, but it felt like a chaotic reality TV show on acid. I've always found his work really interesting and insane (in a good way) and it really takes you into this other world, though I do tend to get a headache after a while

    ReplyDelete