Monday, September 26, 2016

Blogs... Meh?

I personally have a hard time writing free-form blogs. It is difficult for me to figure out something to write about. Obviously I have hit the snooze button on posting in this class so I'm trying to just get going. So obviously, the first thing I knew I could write about is being bad at writing blogs. I used to be turned off by them, they remind me of passive-aggressive internet diaries. But there are so many kinds out there now that they are more a basic tool of the internet. I don't mind the use of a blog like this so much, just commenting on people's thoughts seems so permanent and dispassionate to me. Having discourse through comments on the internet never seems to be very beneficial. Especially the more wide-reaching the blog is. People just wind up congratulating each other for thinking the same way and brow-beating the people trolling them for a reaction. Few minds are changed without an actual personal conversation. However, blogs cannot be put in a box anymore because they are essentially whatever the writer wants them to be. But outside of being useful tools, are blogs a form of art?
I overheard someone in the art department talking about their blog like it was a meth addiction or something. She dramatically proclaimed it was her main art-form and how antsy she gets when she can't blog. Her friend quickly dismissed her, much like I did in my head.  But after some thought, wondered if there was a large population of people who considered their blogs "art." The answer is no. At least not many- out loud at least. A few articles on a couple blogs consider blogs art, depending on the writer. And it seems to come down to, if its self-expression, then it's art. Blogging is still generally new, so maybe there will be some break-out blog that will change all our lives and blogging will be considered in the same rank as novels, painting, and movies. I can easily see in the future, blogs being procured as a sort of readymade art. Especially considering what possible future political, natural, and international disasters unfold. We will have so many personal perspectives on history to look back through. It might help us paint a better picture of history. Blogs create a living dialogue of whats going on in the world and the perspectives of people through time. So after much deliberation, I could easily see blogs becoming an important part of art and history. But currently I still see them mostly as the internet's editorial section.

No comments:

Post a Comment