Monday, September 26, 2016

In the Shadow of Things

Last year I used to spend some of my free time in the library looking through the photography section. While there I found a book called In the Shadow of Things by photographer Leonie Hampton, a UK based artist. She has made everything from books to films to written stories. Her diversity in her work is just one reason I dig her. In this series she focuses on what a family really is because she sees no point in documenting a happy family. Also, lets be real, there is no such thing as a perfect "happy" family. That is just some American dream bull shit that we all strive for but can't achieve. I just really connect with this body of work due to my own family history. Aside from the meaning behind it, I really just find the images in the series captivating and beautiful. The way she pays attention to lighting is almost delicate and her subject matter gives off moods of emptiness and anxiety. If you guys are interested her book is in the library. However it is not at the moment because it is sitting on my desk. I highly recommend it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment