Thursday, September 8, 2016

Spent my paycheck on slide film- woops?

I'm unsure why, but i invested in 1000+ color film slide's. I know what started it all...

About a year ago a friend of mine did a project using her grandparents slide film and I LOVED the quality of them. So, I messages my mom asking for any family photos that I could have.  She ended up giving me about 450 slides. It was interesting to look at for me because I have never even seen my parents have a conversation, and most of the slides are my parents on their honeymoon in Hawaii. Makes me think about the past and everything that happened between the two of them that I will never know or understand. My mom also gave me 22 cameras with 35mm film- undeveloped. 
I'm excited to see what is on them, possibly going to Costco to develop them because I can't find anywhere else to develop them. anyone know of anywhere else to send them in? I only know how to develop black and white!

I am wondering after purchasing these about appropriation and what makes it my own, I found this article at MoMa, but haven't found much helpful. I think this may be too much of an opinion based questions. Any thoughts?

appropriation
https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/pop-art/appropriation


I also like like the idea of giving them life again and making them my own, while i'm unsure of how I will accomplish that. hopefully I can find inspiration in these forever because I have enough to last me a lifetime now. I also bought a scanner because...1500 slides.




I also am excited to see what is on the slide film, I bought them blind with little knowledge of what's on them. leap of faith? 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about slide film, but I have a TON of really outdated slide film. Maybe we can learn together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so cool! My parents have slides from when they used to go scuba diving together that I loved to look at growing up. I'll join you two in learning more about these!

    ReplyDelete