Monday, September 26, 2016

individuality- visual identification of people

https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/investigating-identity

Wigs (Portfolio) (American, born 1960) Lorna Simpson 1994. Portfolio of twenty-one lithographs on felt, with seventeen lithographed felt text panels, overall: 6' x 13' 6" (182.9 x 411.5 cm)

I found a section on MoMa's website about identity, and with this being a "hot topic" in 2016 I figure I'd give it a read. One particular piece I thought was interesting was this Piece called Wigs. These lithographs are touching on investigating "the history of African American hairstyles and conventions of beauty." and it got me thinking about our outer identity. the ones that people glance and make these overarching comparisons. summing them up in whatever way possible- but is it our fault? is it a natural habit or a habit that we are born with?

boy or girl 
tall or short
our race
hair length
eye color
and then we get into specific things
how we walk
the tone of our voice
the way our eyes are shaped

is there a separation between these "specifications" that our subconscious makes for us? 

Today when I was walking around campus I tried to see what I was gathering subconsciously and then what I was creating in my own mind. For me it seems like the only few that were obviously subconscious were boy or girl. I'm sure there is so much visual information I was getting form someone subconsciously. Then I found that I began observing the colors people were wearing, their "style" or clothing, their hair, etc. I may dive in deeper on researching visual identification of people

1 comment:

  1. I think most categorizing of people is natural and important. Like to sense danger in people or nature. However, some people's categorization is well... super racist, sexist, or whatever. I think you can look for a person that represents your bias against whatever group of people is being categorized if you want to. The problem is that people often stop categorizing and settle wherever their interpretations of people land. Many people's opinions on various groups of people aren't even based on personal experience. A friend of a friend has a story, and that becomes cataloged in your head as fact because you have no personal interaction to argue against it. I don't believe your subconscious is unchangeable. I think if a person is comfortable exposing themselves to many walks of life, they'll find people are not that easily categorized in the ways we think they are. And our subconscious stops seeing certain things as a probable indicators of what type of person someone is, based on physical traits. Although, we'll never stop making quick calculating assumptions based on what we see. Because we don't have the time to have a personal conversation with everyone we pass in the street, we'll have to make quick decisions on who to interact with. Trying to put a person into one box is impossible though, so I think most assumptions should be examined with the same introspectiveness that you are discussing. If everyone reflected on how they interpreted the world and other people in it more carefully, the world would most definitely be a better place.

    ReplyDelete