Thursday, September 8, 2016

Desiree Dolron

I absolutely love this woman's work. She started working in 1991 as a journalist in Asia. There she documented religious rights movements and death in the countries she visited. I did not include any of those works even though I enjoy them quite a bit. What really drew me to her work was her choices in lighting and color pallet. The first three images listed are from her series titled Gaze (1996-1998). In these images she shot her subjects under water while shooting a light at them from above. By doing this she was able to achieve a very dream like feeling. Personally, I really enjoy the soft lighting displayed in this series. However, her Xteriors series (2001-2006) is my true love. That lighting though, it's crazy and I love it. When making this series she was looking a lot at art history, specifically focusing on the themes and art styles of Flemish painters (which I think is very obvious when looking at the images). She was also able to achieve a very eery mood in all of the images in this series which is right up my alley. The photographs don't even look like photographs, they look like paintings. That's crazy to me and I love it. Lighting and editing is a crazy thing. Her website sadly doesn't have a lot of information on it about her but I am going to list is anyways so you can look at the rest of her awesome work. 









No comments:

Post a Comment