Monday, September 5, 2016

Stan Brakhage

Stan Brakhage is fascinating. His work is very visually stunning and captivating, and the process is even more interesting to learn about.

He was non-narrative filmmaker which means he dealt a lot with experimentation in film. He did a lot abstract film and was inspired by music and poetry, he was very interested in mythology as well.

He did a lot of experimentation and process work, most notably he painted directly onto the film he was working with.

Imagine an eye unruled by manmade laws of perspective
an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic
an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception
how many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of green?
how many rainbows can light create to the untutored eye
how aware of the variations in heat waves can that eye be?
imagine a world alive with incomprehensible objects and shimmering with an endless variety of movement and enumerable gradations of color imagine a world before the beginning was the word.


Everyone should check this out its fascinating to watch, and it gets you thinking.


Stan Brakhage - Stellar (1993)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've seen some of his work, and really enjoyed the first link. "If I close my eyes, I continue to see." Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I've seen some of his work, and really enjoyed the first link. "If I close my eyes, I continue to see." Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete