Sunday, November 23, 2014

Lexi Wilson-- weekly artist post

Shane emailed me an artist a few days ago that is a senior in the photography program and the Rhode Island School of Design. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the artist was around the same age as us, because it gives me hope that I can make work this good. Ellis Marksohn makes work as a tool for therapeutic growth. His work questions a lot of his past experiences while also questioning self-hood. Here is his artist statement which I found to be an important part when analyzing his work.

“Maybe 30 seconds, maybe a minute. I’ve never been good at those sorts of calculations. I know we’ll all complain about the absence of light until one day in spring when there is a sudden recognition of what we have gained.
Home is the safest place.
After graduating from high school, I moved out of my parent’s house and converted my apartment into a punk venue. I had a sweet tooth for chaos and longed for rock bottom. Eventually there were too many holes in the drywall that I never learned how to spackle shut, so I moved back home.
As best as I can remember this is how it happened. A hockey puck struck my father’s forehead. I know I threw it, but all I remember is screaming “Leave and never come back.” My mom was in my bedroom, crying for me to stay. I got in my car and started driving, but realized there was nowhere to go. Turning the car around, I sped back down my gravel driveway. I imagined driving straight through the wall and into the kitchen. I imagined a glorious Don Quixote cry for help, but the wall stood still while the car buckled against it.
A week later I arrived at a wilderness rehabilitation program in the middle of the Utah winter. It is all a learning process. I needed to burn down something pretty before I could talk to you. Even still, sometimes I wake up in the morning and forget to shave my beard for months.”

I love what this process does for the artist and can resonate with his intent. His process and artwork shows the effect of love and what it can do in his life when it come to healing and self evaluating.






http://www.onwardforward.com/blog/2014/1/20/ellis-marksohn-burn-down-something-pretty 

No comments:

Post a Comment