Sunday, November 9, 2014

Weekly Artist Post - Nat

Andrea Donnely  - 2010 VCU grad from the Fiber/Textiles Department.

 http://andreadonnelly.com/home.html

"The cloth I create is a mental landscape, quietly inhabited." 

I've been really interested in blankets lately. Maybe because it's cold outside, but specifically really thick army blankets interest me a lot. The texture and weight of them, and how they look when folded make them incredibly beautiful simple objects.

Andrea weaves her own tapestries/blankets and paints the individual threads before weaving them. Some of her subject matter feels a bit cliche or predictable to me, but others are quite stunning. I found that while watching the short documentary ( https://vimeo.com/49450900 ) seeing how she threads the loom is ASMR inducing, for those of you interested in that!

In the future, I'd like to work with textiles as well. Eventually, I'd like to find a way to print and embed photographic processes into textiles in a beautiful and non-cheesy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment