Sunday, November 9, 2014

Weekly Artist Post - Liesa Collins

Sophie Barbasch





Sophie Barbasch is an American photographer who is now living and working in New York City. She attended RISD for Photography in undergrad and Brown for graduate studies in Art and Art History. She was named one of Photo Boite's 30 Under 30 Women Photographers in 2012. Barbasch primarily works with color film photography. I'm unsure if it is medium or large format. Her colors are vibrant and her subjects carry a lot of unknown narrative, which is why I am drawn to her photography. Barbasch also has a project that if you send her text, she will email you back a recording. So of course, I participated in sending her the lyrics of "Party Like a Rockstar" by Shop Boyz. Keep updated for results. 

Also something I've been semi interested in recently as a result of doing these artist posts are the names of files. I am downloading images straight from artist's websites for the most part and they are always named something strange and different. I don't know if this is interesting to anyone else, but I am so digging what it might mean about the artist. Like Sophie Barbasch, who had a Mac screenshot file as one of her uploads, might mean she's lazy or lost her original file. Who knows, but I've been collecting and I think it's funny how most artists wouldn't even think about it when uploading their images to a professional site. 


No comments:

Post a Comment