Monday, November 17, 2014

Weekly Artist Post - NAT

Hi,

I've recently become aware of why I am so interested in a certain list of films, and it's because Harris Savides was Director of Photography in all of them. My favorites, and most highly recognized are Zodiac, Milk, and American Gangster. With each film, Savides used light as another creeping character; using smoke/fog, reflections, car windows, dim TV screens, to enhance the atmosphere. It seems so simple, to light a scene the way it would look in real life so that it is not distracting, but to see it thought out and done so well is stunning.  When I work, I forget that I can make photographs the way I would imagine making a film.

Note to self: Slow down. Consider less obvious lighting situations. Add depth. Make a story out of only a few frames. Create Characters. 

Zodiac (2007)

American Gangster (2007)

Milk (2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment