Sunday, November 2, 2014

Weekly Artist Post - Liesa Collins

Laura Taylor





"I grew up in the comforts of the sleepy south in Augusta, Georgia. At 15, I received my
first camera for Christmas. I started taking pictures of bugs and flowers in my backyard.Very soon I became lost in a world that I discovered looking through a lens.Photography became and continues to be the ultimate escape for me. As I grew braver as a photographer, I started recruiting family and friends to model for me. I quickly found people more fascinating subjects than flowers and now focus primarily on portraiture. I’ve always had a curious spirit, and a camera gives me an excuse to stare at people. I moved to New York City when I was 18 to work in a photography studio.At 21, I live in Los Angeles, California working as a freelance photographer. I find theCalifornia sun very agreeable."

Laura Taylor is a photographer I found on a website titled 30 Under 30, Women Photographers. I was looking for some inspiration for my final and I was really drawn to her women portrait only portfolio. There are some iffy portraits that look just like some messing around with sunset lighting and depth of field. The ones I preferred seemed to be less about what the model was doing or wearing, but more the apparent relationship between the model and the photographer. The collaboration between the two that gets lost a lot of the time in portraits is super strange to me. I did a project on this concept last year in my darkroom class with my model roommate/bff and I'd like to return to it. Laura Taylor has inspired me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment