Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Raven McCarter- Carrie Mae Weems







Carrie Mae Weems is an art-photographer, performance artist, activist and videographer—well known for her photographic series and multi-screen projections relating to themes focusing on family, beauty and memory. In this series, The Kitchen Table, Weems uses a subtle collection of props, gesture, and gaze to bring to question subjects of identity, gender construction, representation, parenthood, and the nature of human relationships. Weems describes her intention of Kitchen Table Series as a personal view on the world around her.  I think what gets me about this series is the simplicity; The ability to convey so much from one scene, one location, one family is amazing.  

"I got my first camera when I was 21 - my boyfriend gave it to me for my birthday - but at that point politics was my life, and I viewed the camera as a tool for expressing my political beliefs rather than as an art medium."
Carrie Mae Weems

No comments:

Post a Comment