Sunday, September 7, 2014

Scott Csoke-Weekly Artist Post

Daniel W. Coburn











Daniel W. Coburn lives and works in Lawrence, Kansas teaching photography at the University of Kansas. 

Something that first drew me in about Coburn's work was the ethereal quality of it. It's such simple subject matter, but he makes it seem much more complex and stunning. His use of warm color is always something that hooks me right away. I try and use that in my own photography as well. I also really enjoy how he uses traditional techniques such as cyanotypes and salt prints. These are both techniques i'm going to be using this semester so it's nice to see some recent examples of how they're being used. His work focuses a lot on his family and the flawed idea of the American dream. I feel like i can relate to his work about his family. He ties in religious references and a little bit of humor as well, both things that tend to come out in my own work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment