Wednesday, September 5, 2012

AH PRO PRE AYE SHUN

To pretend like you're original is honestly, bullshit. I used to feel that way, and I have since come a long, long way from that. Appropriation is simply borrowing, or better yet stealing, ideas that have been done before, or ones that deem similar. It doesn't necessarily mean copying step by step. It just means looking at inspiring work, that both you like and dislike, because even the artists we hate, we can learn something from (corny, whatever).

I know my work that I am going to do for this class is not original in the least. It is just one of the truest things I will have photographed in my 20 years of living. I can't say I will appropriate anything subject wise, because the experience that I am experiencing, is not something that everyone experiences. Let me step back --- it's more like, yes, I can say I'll be appropriating the style so that I can document this story as I see best fit, with photographers in mind, to see how he/she does it. But my own story, or the story of my mother, or better yet...the story of our family life, is something that cannot be fabricated.

No comments:

Post a Comment