Wednesday, September 5, 2012

~*Appropriation*~


“Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known.”


               Much like Chuck Palahnuik's statement above, appropriation is pretty much unavoidable, regardless of whether or not it is intended by the artist. In my opinion, to borrow or adopt certain aspects from other artworks ought not be considered stealing or copying, but rather be considered as a form of adaptation where the original owner should feel complimented for having even just a minor influence over another artist's work. I have instinctively appropriated work in the style of Nick Brandt, Eugene Richards, Jean-Baptiste Mondino, and Joshua Hoffine. I have even come across images by artists I have never heard of, yet I have appropriated aspects of their famous photographs into photographs of my own. For upcoming photographs I intend on completing in and outside of class, I plan on appropriating aspects of work by Ren Hang, Jon Estwards, Lauren E. Simonutti, Cindy Sherman and Jean-Baptiste Mondino.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha we used the same quote and I hadn't even read your post before I made mine.

    ReplyDelete