Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Current concept manifesto


     At the moment, I am exploring the dysfunction and uneasiness that exists in the relationship between my sister and me. Using photography as the medium of common ground, it constrains us to come together and work on creating something, almost like an unwilling collaboration. This has been successful so far on more of a behind the scenes level, as it forces us to examine the way we treat each other while working on resolving present issues. It is almost like the process becomes more important than the final outcome.
     It is my hope that through this series, my sister and I will gain more understanding of each other as our familial bond is shown on a visual level. My sister is one of my most photographed subjects, however I have never appeared in the images with her, and it changes the dynamic completely because the photo no longer becomes about how I view her, but how we view each other. As we are non-biologically related, we both come to our relationship with different baggage and history. I don’t view this project as a cure by any means, but I hope that as I continue with photographing us together, the photographs will start to change over time from dysfunction to displaying more comfortableness, as things have not always been this way between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment